Sunday, March 23, 2008

Thing 7: 2.0 Communication Tools

I sort of forgot that I can change how often I receive email messages. I absolutely am going to set mine to check once every hour, rather than the continual barrage, which definitely can affect how productive you can make in the moment! I got all excited about Mail Template, but it appears it is a Mac application? In Outlook, I sort of do the same thing now. I create "template messages" for topics, then save them as a draft. Then, I copy and paste the text into a new message when I need it.I liked the quote, "stop letting your email poke you with a stick, its just not worth it". Funny, but a big part of my job is responding to these pokes, but maybe I can at least manage how often the pokes happen. I have noted an alarming increase in folks who just don't read their email, or maybe once a day!?!? Do we seriously have this luxury???
The instant messaging video was a good demo of IM, but I wonder how long it would take librarians to get comfortable with the lingo. I would be worried that I could not easily translate what the students were saying to me. I have found text messaging very handy with my kids. They seem to actually prefer it much of the time, and we've had some good laughs with trying to outdo each other in outrageous responses at times....
The multitype directors have been having some meetings using OPAL software. It is a nifty way to touch base, look at common documents, all have a change to talk, and save a fair amount of windshield time and mileage dollars. Not great for all meetings, but works well for specific needs. Over the last three years I have attended several MINITEX webinars, webjunction webinars, and others....love it! Most are free, and I don't have to travel.

I just set up my Twitter account for use at next week's PLA conference in Minneapolis. the conference will be humungous, and Twitter or texting will be a great way to find colleagues to have dinner or get together. What did we do before we had these tools???

No comments:

Picture Trail Flick