Sunday, April 6, 2008

Thing 15:Gaming

This was a tough Thing for me. Once, a few years ago, I downloaded some skunky game, and really messed up our home computer. So, I have flashbacks of the angst this created in the family. I am really careful about ANY downloads.
My strategy was to do Puzzle Pirates, but it requires a download. Scratch.
I've always wanted to do Second Life, actually signed up once at a Second Life workshop and never got back to it. So, I watched the video, and thought, what the hell, I am just going to do this.I read all of the FAQ's, and honestly have no idea what kind of video card I have, so decided to just go ahead and download the software, and not be such a chicken. However, when I did so, I got a security warning telling me that "the publisher of the download could not be verified. Yikes, scared me off....I even set up my account, my name is Lola Steig, and my avatar in 2nd Life is very funky looking. I had even saved a 2nd Life blog post from the Learning About Sticks blog, which had really good information about walking you through your first 2nd life experience. I would be more willing to try this at work where I would actually have some technical support if I get into trouble with the download. I can totally see why people would enjoy 2nd life, and of course it makes sense to have libraries in 2nd life. Maybe more later when I get my courage back!

No comments:

Picture Trail Flick