Monday, April 14, 2008

Thing 20: Facebook and MySpace

I have had a Facebook account for a while, but I must admit that I was reluctantly just lurking out there occasionally. I had to "restart" my account because Facebook no longer liked my password (yes, I had written it down). I spent a little time on my profile, posted on the wall of a high school friend, then took a look at the group called Libraries Using Facebook Pages. If I was an academic librarian, I would set up a Facebook page with no question. I would really like to think through how helpful this would be for CMLE, so I subscribed to this group as a way to monitor. The whole "friending" thing really has no appeal for me, but hey, that's just me! Makes me feel stodgy, but honest!!I can completely see why Facebook and MySpace would have great appeal to students. I can also see why very shy people may have outrageous social networking pages (and possibly need a lesson on safe computing). Looking forward to Thingee 21, I've been looking forward to exploring Shelfari.

No comments:

Picture Trail Flick